Tuesday, April 15, 2008

ANd-OR: Oh, the Possibilities

I stumbled across a site featuring the work of a handful of innovators in Switzerland. They have a small list of playable projects, some of which can be downloaded to your DS (if your DS is equipped for homebrew games) Their site: www.and-or.ch.



If you've kept a keen eye on the "games I'm playing" section of my blog, you would have noticed that I added Wardive to the queue. What's unique about Wardive, is that it uses the DS's wifi capabilities to scan the air around the player. Based on the number, and strength of the local wireless lan hotspots, different numbers, and strengths of enemies appear.

The game itself is nothing more than pointing and clicking on the enemies using the DS touch screen, but the concept and the technology behind it is worth mentioning. Combining real world factors and digital world rules together is a new type of gameplay experience that I hope to create in future games. But I won't get into that now. We're knee deep in GuitaRPG.

3 comments:

Daniel Purvis said...

Honestly man, I don't have any more free time to play another title!

At the moment my desk is covered in games that need playing and more than half of them need reviewing. At the top of the pile sit;

Dark Sector PS3 (US import)
EchoChrome PSP (Japanese import)
Disgaea: Something PSP
Crisis Core: FFVII PSP (US import)
Frontlines: Fuel of War X360 *
Bully: Scholarship Edition X360 *
The World Ends With You DS *
Army of Two X360 *

In case you're wondering, I had to import Dark Sector as I wanted to play the game uncensored. In Australia, the game had the limb severing edited out and apparently, that's half the fun.

Crisis Core only just found a publisher and will be released here in a matter of months.

And as you may know, EchoChrome has only been released in Japan so far and be damned if I didn't want to play that as I loved Kurushi on PS1 (I believe it's called Intelligent Cube in the US). Something about the minimalistic design has really drawn me in.

Unfortunately, I can't see Army of Two, Dark Sector or Frontlines providing much in the way of intellectual stimulation but sometimes I just love to blow shit up.

KirbyKid said...

No worries. Wardive only takes about a minute of play to get it. It's really just a tech demo. Watching the youtube videos of the game also gives you a pretty good idea of what the game is.

Oh, the gaming never stops.

Daniel Purvis said...

Sometimes, I wish the entire gaming industry would take a two month break. There's enough to play here and now without looking forward to future releases.

BTW, I've decided to develop a small, indie game :) still getting the concepts together but I've found a programmer willing to help me code (considering I know nothing of coding) so all I need to do is get done with the designing!